How Healy Chia makes it from Uganda to you.
- Our farmers receive free seeds to plant their first crop of chia plants (Salvia Hispanica) on their farmland in rural Uganda.
- A member of the mint family, chia plants can reach up to 1.75m in height, with bright green foliage and small purple flowers. They take up to 120 days to grow and flower.
- After flowering, the chia plant begins to dry and turn brown. At this stage the stems are cut by hand, ready to go through the threshing machine.
- The threshing machine removes the chia seeds from the plant. It works by beating the plant until the seeds are separated from their husks.
- The seeds are taken to the nearest field office. Here they are weighed and the farmers recieve payment for their harvest, retaining a number of seeds for their next crop.
- From the field office, the seeds are transported to our central processing facilities in Kampala. They are then sifted, cleaned and examined to ensure only the highest quality.
- The Healy Chia seeds are then bagged and transported to our distribution centres in Ireland and the UK.
These little seeds pack a big nutritional punch, naturally abundant in powerful antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids and essential amino acids.
Per 1 Serving (28g)
- 11g Fibre
- 4g Protein
- 9g Fat (5 of which are Omega-3 fatty acids)
- 18% RDA Calcium
- 30% RDA Manganese
- 30% RDA Magnesium
- 27% RDA Phosphorus
Chia is also a rich source of the following vitamins and minerals: Thiamine, Niacin, Riboflavin, Folate, Iron and Zinc.
Because of this, Chia has become a highly-popular choice among health conscious consumers. The European chia market has seen double-digit growth in the past 5 years, a trend which is showing no signs of slowing.
Chia in Food & Drink
Adding chia to food and drink not only helps products to appeal to a wider audience, but can also add texture and enhance their nutritional profile. With its mild flavour, Chia is easy to incorporate into a variety of goods such as bread, cakes, cereal, savoury snacks, beverages and even frozen desserts and ice lollies.
How We Can Help
Healy Chia’s background in functional food ingredients means that our technical team are ideally suited to assist in new development projects which incorporate chia. Whether it’s seeded flatbreads, a new ancient grain cereal bar or a chia smoothie, our team have the experience and expertise to turn your product ideas into a reality.
For further information about chia seeds or to find out more about our bespoke technical solutions, please email us at